Monday, March 17, 2014

Take Me Out To The Ballgame!


Two days of baseball! If you'd told me five years ago that I'd be spending a week watching baseball and actually enjoy it I would have told you no way!  But here I am, decked out in my Royals hat, my specially purchased St.Patrick's Day Royals shirt and my custom ordered Blue and White New Balance shoes. Oh, I forgot my blue and white nails. 
Sunday was our first game day at the Surprise Sports Complex. The Phoenix area is the home of the Cactus League Spring Training. The Surprise stadium was built in 2000 and is home to the KC Royals and the Texas Rangers. Each team has 4 practice fields that are next to the stadium. During the week it is possible to attend preseason games in the afternoon or evening and practices in the morning. If you have several favorite teams and love to watch you could attend games at more than one stadium.  In the morning you can attend practice and watch all of the farm team players practice. In the afternoon they play other farm teams. I didn't realize that all of the farm players trained with their major league counterpart. 

Sunday the Royals were playing away and not being familiar with the area I wasn't sure how away away was so opted for the Rangers game. I was excited to see Prince Fielder even if I did have him mixed up with Big Papi for awhile. The game was lackluster and very slow but they did win 14 to 8. 

Dinner was at our favorite, Old Spaghetti Factory. Yum! It was worth the 30 minute drive. 

Monday morning we tried out the practice sessions. They were interesting but we didn't see any of the big guys. In the afternoon we watched the first 4 innings of the Omaha game. It was too hot to stay so it was back to the hotel. 

Tonight's game was fun! It was great to see the boys again. Billy Butler has trimmed down. Moose was hitting strong and all in all they played well. George Brett is apparently coaching again as he was there in uniform. They beat the Rangers 6-0. Now if they can just beat them in regular season. 

Tomorrow we are driving down to Tuscon to find my scoundrel of a great grandfather's grave. More on him tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment