Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Day of Rest

Good Thursday!

First let me say, I don't want to go home. Sorry family and friends but I am staying here. I will find a job on a dolphin boat or something and stay here. Sadly, tomorrow is our last day and then it is back to trying to keep my chin up and trying to find a job. It isn't hard to get out of bed every morning here. Of course, I am sleeping until 8 so that makes a difference!

Today was an unexpected day of doing little or nothing. We went souvenir shopping this morning and then hit "Sweetie Pies". SP's is a little cafe that was featured in the August 2008 Southern Living as having the best Pecan Pie in the south. We both had broccoli soup. I had Tropical Pecan Pie (pecan pie with coconut and pineapple). It was good but not the best I have ever had. The best pie I have ever had was at Lecompte, LA at Lea's Pie Shop.

I was really really wanting to sit on the beach all afternoon. When we got back, Ken didn't want to go directly to the beach. He promptly sat down and went to sleep. I laid down on the couch and dozed off. I woke up about 1:00 and decided I'd go down to the pool so I put on my beach clothes, grabbed my book, towel and pop and headed off. It had clouded up and the wind was blowing a bit so it was very cold. I stayed there for about 10 minutes and gave up. I came back upstairs and Mr. Ken was still asleep so I sat down and read a bit. The sun came out and Ken woke up and I decided to try the chairs on the balcony. By the time I got there, the sun was gone again and so I went back up to the condo and stayed. I was very disappointed. Oh well, tomorrow is supposed to be 70 and sunny so I will get in one last bake and burn I hope. At 6:00 or so we will go to hear Los Lonely Boys at The Hangout and then our trip will be over. Little tear.

Oh gee, I can't believe I forgot the best part of the day!!!! Feeling too sorry for myself I guess. Tonight was our Dolphin Cruise. This is the third year we have sailed with Capt. Bill and Ceatacen Cruises. He operates the only DolphinSmart cruise in the area. You have to be certified yearly by the Dolphin Research Institute to have that title. Bill really knows the dolphin pod in Wolf Bay. Currently there are 31 dolphins. One is two weeks old and one is only 4 days old. We briefly saw one of the babies tonight. I think this was the best cruise we have been on here. Several dolphins swam right up to the boat. Two or three were "dancing" so they really came up out of the water. Dancing is what boy and girl dolphins do together and then a year later, a baby dolphin is born. It was so cool. Then we went back in the swamp and saw an alligator, an osprey, a blue heron and a pelican sleeping on a branch. It was the highlight of my trip so far.

Now it is off to the Flora Bama for real this time. The old folks better get going or we will fall asleep in our chairs again.

Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi McLemores. Let say upfront that I don't want you to stay there BUT on the other hand, you know you'd have plenty of visitors. Working with Capt. Bill would be such a great gig. Hearing you talk about Capt Bill and his dolphins brings back such happy memories. How I miss that place.

    I know it will be tough coming home and going back Monday but things will work out. Love you, Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment didn't come through - darn!

    ReplyDelete